Connect with us


Man. United collapse at Sevilla in Europa League while Juventus hold off Sporting

Manchester United imploded in Seville in the Europa League on Thursday while Juventus completed a good evening for the club by holding on away to Sporting and advancing to the semi-finals.

In the quarter-final second legs, United succumbed 3-0 at Sevilla to go out 5-2. 

Juventus hung on to draw 1-1 with Sporting in Lisbon to advance 2-1 on aggregate while Bayer Leverkusen won 4-1 in Belgium to eliminate Union Saint-Gilloise 5-2 on aggregate.

In Seville, goalkeeper David de Gea had a disastrous night as lacklustre Manchester United were dispatched by the six-time competition winners.

United, who led by two goals with six minutes left in the first leg before conceding a pair of late own goals, completed the collapse in Spain.

After eight minutes De Gea rolled a pass to an isolated Harry MaGuire, scorer of one of the first-leg own goals. This time, quickly ambushed by three opponents, he gave the ball away and Youssef En-Nesyri accepted the first of his presents.

Sevilla dominated and could have scored again before centre back Loic Bade headed a corner onto his own shoulder and looped the ball over De Gea in the 47th minute.

In the 81st minute, De Gea charged out of goal but sliced a dropping ball. It fell to En-Nesyri who curled into the empty net to complete the victory.

“It’s clear that when we make mistakes, it’s very difficult to win a football game. We have to do better. That’s a demand,” said United coach Erik ten Hag.

Juventus received potentially good news earlier in the evening when Italy’s highest sporting court revoked a 15-point Serie A points deduction for illicit transfer activity but asked that the case should be re-examined.

In Lisbon, Juventus started fast as Adrian Rabiot spun and scored after Sporting failed to clear a ninth minute corner.

The French midfielder then fouled Manuel Ugarte in the penalty area and Marcus Edwards converted the 20th-minute penalty.

After that the home team struggled to create chances against the Juventus defence and Ricardo Esgaio and Sebastian Coates missed Sporting’s best chances in the closing minutes.

In Brussels, Union Saint-Gilloise could not claim a second German scalp.

In the first leg in Leverkusen, Union Saint-Gilloise had managed a draw as they had in the round of 16 on their way to eliminating Union Berlin. 

On Thursday, their hopes of a repeat began to fade after 90 seconds, as Moussa Diaby pounced on some poor defending and rounded goalkeeper Anthony Moris. 

Mitchel Bakker volleyed a second after 38 minutes. 

On a night when goalkeepers were punished for trying to pass out, Morris played the ball straight to Jeremie Frimpong who fired it straight back past the Luxembourg international after 60 minutes.  

Casper Terho replied for Union but Adam Hlozek quickly restored the three goal advantage. 

In the Europa Conference League, Fiorentina blew a three-goal first-leg advantage over Lech Poznan before scoring twice in the last 12 minutes to lose 3-2 at home but advance 6-4 on aggregate. 

Gent took the lead against West Ham at the London Stadium when Hugo Cuypers put them ahead on aggregate after 20 minutes. 

But Michail Antonio levelled and after Lucas Paqueta converted a penalty and Declan Rice scored from an angle, Antonio finished off a comfortable 4-1 win for West Ham to advance 5-2 on aggregate.

France’s last representative in Europe, Nice went out 3-2 on aggregate after losing 2-1 in extra time at home to Basel. Kasim Adams headed the deciding goal in the 98th minute.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


World Cup News


More in Football