Former men’s pole vault world record holder Renaud Lavillenie has undergone surgery on a left hamstring injury, the Frenchman said on Thursday.
“Operation went well, the hamstring tendon is repaired,” Lavillenie said in a post on Instagram.
“A new challenge begins today and I’m motivated as always. Thank you for the support, I will not give up on my passion.”
The 36-year-old 2012 Olympic champion estimated he would be out of action for at least six months in an interview with French regional daily La Montagne.
Lavillenie has endured a miserable year, being ruled out of the World Athletics Championships in Budapest last month.
He did not manage one successful vault at the French championships at the end of July.
The three-time European champion — a five-time world championship medallist — had previously missed the indoor season due to his troublesome hamstring.
World Cup News
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez on Tuesday blasted as “insufficient” the apology given by...
Spain’s Women’s World Cup hero Olga Carmona paid tribute to her father on Monday...
Spain midfielder Jenni Hermoso defended Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales after he came...
Sunday’s World Cup final between England and Spain is the final act of a...