Connect with us


Nadur Youngsters and Żebbuġ Rovers win Knock Out finals

Nadur Youngsters and second-tier side Żebbuġ Rovers won the BOV Gozo FA Knock Out finals for the first and second division respectively last weekend.  The BOV Knock Out finals were held last weekend for the first time after an absence of two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic and attracted a sizeable crowd at the Gozo Stadium.

In the first division final, Nadur Youngsters registered a convincing 3-0 win over Għajnsielem. 

The match was expected to be a hard-fought affair between two teams who had already met three times this season, with each side recording a win and the other match finishing in a draw.

But in last weekend’s contest, Nadur were a class above their opponents, scoring three goals in the first half to clinch the trophy for the second time in their history.

Nadur could have scored an early goal but an effort by Ederson came off the crossbar.

The Youngsters took the lead on 26 minutes when Joseph Zammit tapped the ball home following an Ederson pass.

Eight minutes later, Nadur made it 2-0 when Marcelo Barbosa scored directly from a free-kick.

The Brazilian striker grabbed the second of the match two minutes from time with a firm strike.

After the break, Għajnsielem tried to hit back and the closest they came close to pull a goal back came from two free-kicks, taken by Igor Nedeljkovic that were well saved by Steve Sultana.

Thirteen minutes from time, Għajnsielem were reduced to ten men when substitute Kevin Farrugia was sent off for a second bookable offence.

In the KO final for Division Two teams, Żebbuġ Rovers needed two extra-time goals to see off  Xagħra United.

Both teams showed positive football in their bid to win the second most important honour in Gozitan football.

On their way to the final, the Rovers had the better of league champions Qala Saints, while Xagħra United knocked out Munxar Falcons, who finished runners-up in the championship.

The match between Żebbuġ and Xagħra could have gone either way. 

Xagħra had a huge opportunity to take the lead on 15 minutes when they were awarded a penalty but Matthias Cordina’s shot finished over the bar.

After the break, Żebbuġ were unlucky when a shot by Orlando Atzori came off the bar while seven minutes from time they too were awarded a penalty for a handball infringement by Silvan Debono.

The latter was shown the red card but from the spot Eman Bugeja’s shot hit the post.

With the score goalless, the match went into extra-time.

In the second minute of stoppage time of the first half Daniel Pineros fired home from a corner kick.

The Rovers sealed the win with a second goal on 111 minutes when Joston Azzopardi converted a penalty.





Oratory Y. vs Victoria H.            13.30

Xewkija T. vs Għajnsielem        16.00




Sannat L. vs Kerċem Ajax          13.30

Nadur Y. vs SK Victoria W.        16.00



GFA Cup semi-final

Qala vs Għajnsielem   18.30


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


World Cup News


More in Football