Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani and several team-mates face disciplinary action from FIFA following the South Americans’ stormy World Cup exit, a statement said Monday.
The world governing body said disciplinary proceedings had been opened against Cavani, Jose Maria Gimenez, Fernando Muslera and Diego Godin after a melee following Uruguay’s 2-0 win over Ghana.
Uruguay were eliminated despite their victory on Friday due to South Korea’s 2-1 defeat of Portugal in Group H.
Referee Daniel Siebert was surrounded by a group of furious Uruguay players after the match, in which several decisions went against La Celeste, including two penalty claims.
Cavani, 35, later knocked over a VAR monitor in disgust as he left the pitch.
As well as the disciplinary action against players, Uruguay’s football association faces potential sanctions for breaches of regulations relating to offensive behaviour and misconduct of players.
World Cup News
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez on Tuesday blasted as “insufficient” the apology given by...
Spain’s Women’s World Cup hero Olga Carmona paid tribute to her father on Monday...
Spain midfielder Jenni Hermoso defended Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales after he came...
Sunday’s World Cup final between England and Spain is the final act of a...