Formula One star Lewis Hamilton would have no complaints about a peaceful protest from Just Stop Oil activists at this weekend’s British Grand Prix.
The climate activists targeted Wimbledon on Wednesday as three people were arrested for interrupting two matches by throwing confetti and jigsaw pieces onto the court.
In recent months, Just Stop Oil protestors have also caused disruption at the Lord’s Test between England and Australia, the English Premiership rugby final and the World Snooker Championship.
Asked ahead of Sunday’s race, if he would support a protest which did not involve people invading the track, Mercedes driver Hamilton said: “Yes. I support peaceful protests.”
Five climate protestors caused chaos at last year’s British Grand Prix when they stormed the Wellington Straight, the fastest point of the track, before sitting down during the opening lap.
The race had already been suspended following Alfa Romeo driver Zhou Guanyu’s high-speed crash, but a number of cars sped by the group before they were dragged away by marshals.
The protesters were handed suspended jail sentences in March.
Silverstone chiefs have worked alongside police to improve security ahead of this year’s Grand Prix, with a record 480,000 people expected to attend over the weekend, and 150,000 fans in place for the race.
Seven-time world champion Hamilton added: “We are hoping we have learnt from the experience of last year.
“We have 100 more marshals this weekend which will be supportive to make sure it doesn’t happen.
“From my perspective, and my teams’ perspective, we are focused on sustainability and we believe in what people are fighting for and we are making those changes as a sport.
“But safety is key. We don’t want to put them in harm’s way and we don’t want to put anyone else in harm’s way. If there was to be one, we hope it is not on track.”
Earlier this week, McLaren driver Lando Norris told Just Stop Oil campaigners that they would be “stupid and selfish” to put lives in danger by protesting.
Williams’ London-born Alex Albon believes an attack is likely.
“There is a high chance of something happening this week,” he said.
“It is a concern because a pitch invasion is one thing but with cars and moving parts it gets a bit more dangerous to some extent.”
World Cup News
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez on Tuesday blasted as “insufficient” the apology given by...
Spain’s Women’s World Cup hero Olga Carmona paid tribute to her father on Monday...
Spain midfielder Jenni Hermoso defended Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales after he came...
Sunday’s World Cup final between England and Spain is the final act of a...