Connect with us


Nadur Youngsters, Qala Saints take point from top of the table clash

Nadur’s Marcelo Pereira (left) challenges Lucas Matheus. PHOTO: ANTHONY CASSAR

Title challengers Nadur Youngsters and Qala Saints took a point each from last weekend’s top of the table clash to remain level at the top of the standings.

This match attracted a sizeable crowd at the Gozo Stadium and the two sides lived up to the expectations with a strong performance. 

Qala will have been the happier side to leave the stadium as they took a point from a match which saw them with a player less for more than a half.

Nadur were determined to bounce back from last week’s heavy 6-2 defeat to Xewkija Tigers.

The Youngsters took the lead on 21 minutes through a fine strike by Marcelo Barbosa.

The Brazilian almost grabbed a second minutes later when he was denied by the Qala goalkeeper when through on goal.

Qala suffered a setback on 42 minutes when skipper Emanuel Buttigieg was sent off for stepping on Barbosa.

But despite being a man down, the Maroons kept their composure and came out for the second half determined to draw level.

Qala equalised on 71 minutes through a header by Joao Vitor to ensure his team returns home with an important point.

Għajnsielem eased their relegation worries with a 1-0 win over Xewkija Tigers to move clear of the drop zone.

The Blacks scored the all-important goal on 81 minutes through Godwin Emmanuel.

SK Victoria Wanderers missed an opportunity to regain third place in the standings as they were held by Xagħra United to a 2-2 draw. 

The Wanderers were twice ahead through goals scored by Caique Silvio Souza Da Silva (17) and Joseph Saliba (36).

But Xagħra, who were led by new coach Paul Camilleri, managed to secure a point with goals from Camilo Andres Diaz Arias (29) and Michael Bezzina (74).

The direct clash from the relegation zone between bottom-placed Oratory Youths and Kerċem Ajax also ended in a 2-2 draw.

Oratory looked the more determined side early on and surged into a two-goal lead through a brace by Rafael Prudente. 

Kerċem re-opened the issue  when Pablo Vinicius converted a penalty on 79 minutes.

The Ajax increased their efforts and scored a dramatic equaliser in the third minute of stoppage time through a header by Andrew Mizzi.

GFA Division Two

Victoria Hotspurs moved six points clear at the top of Division Two when they eased past Għarb Rangers 4-1.

The Hotspurs’ win turned out to be more difficult than the final scoreline shows.

The Rabat side took the lead from an own goal committed by Għarb’s Samuel Sillato on 15 minutes.

But Għarb equalised on 36 minutes through Carlos Cutajar. 

The turning point of the match arrived on 69 minutes when Għarb’s Damian Depasquale committed another own goal and that paved the way for the Hotspurs win as they added two late goals through Lorenzo Atzori (70) and Shaun Attard (79).

Munxar Falcons stunned promotion challengers Sannat Lions 1-0 to put themselves back in contention to take second spot.

The match was decided by an early goal scored by Munxar’s Nathaniel Mercieca after four minutes.

In the other match, Żebbuġ Rovers secured a 2-0 win over St Lawrence Spurs.

The Rovers took the lead on the stroke of half time through Pierre Paul Camilleri (45).

The Spurs missed an opportunity to level the score on 79 minutes when a penalty kick by Ayesller Carvalho was saved by the Żebbuġ goalkeeper. 

The Rovers made sure of the win by scoring a second goal through Nathan John Cini (73).

Hotspurs win Challenge Cup

Victoria Hotspurs obtained a 3-1 win over Sannat Lions after extra time to lift the Second Division Challenge Cup. 

The Hotspurs enjoyed more territorial supremacy but found it very hard to create goalscoring opportunities. 

The Citizens could have opened the score on 22 minutes but a penalty by Wellington ended wide. 

Sannat opened the score through Boubacar Kanta (49). But the Hotspurs took just a minute to draw level through Daniel Farrugia (50). 

The match went into extra time and in the first minute of play the Hotspurs took the lead with a goal scored by substitute Lucas Farrugia. 

The Citizens were reduced to ten men on 102 minutes when James Tabone was sent off for a second bookable offence. 

Sannat also ended up playing with ten men on 110 minutes when Boubacar Kanta received his second caution of the match. 

The Hotspurs sealed the win on 112 minutes with another goal scored by Lucas Farrugia. 

After the match, GFA president Samuel Azzopardi presented the trophy to the Hotspurs’ players.


In the first match from the quarter finals stage of the second division KO competition, Żebbuġ beat Għarb Rangers 1-0. 

The decisive goal arrived on 81 minutes through Daniel Mesa Pineros.




Żebbuġ vs Munxar F.   14.30

St Lawrence vs Victoria H.        17.00



Oratory Y. vs Nadur Y. 14.00

Qala S. vs Għajnsielem              16.00

MARCH 26 – Kerċem Stadium


Sannat L. vs Għarb R.  18.00

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


World Cup News


More in Football